Venetian Isles Homeowners Association,Inc. St. Petersburg, Florida March 27, 2016
“State of the Isles”
As I mentioned in the December 2015 Presidents’ Letter, we are transitioning from a “paper” version of these quarterly updates to electronic means to facilitate delivery of information as well as to reduce our printing costs.
Here is a quick summary of some of the things going on within VI. As always, the best source of info is the VI website – www.ourvi.org. The website will be updated regularly with items of importance to VI Residents.
VI Garage Sale – time to clean out and sell those “treasures” – EBay has nothing on us!!! The VI garage sale will be April 9. The participation cost has been reduced from $10.00 to $5.00 this year based upon feedback that I received last year. Please contact Julie Scanlon (525-0477) with any questions that you may have and to make payment.
New Residents Orientation – For all those VI residents who have moved in subsequent to April 2015. April 16 at 7:00pm.
Fishing Tournament - Rick Sandon, co-chair of the Membership Committee, will be organizing this event. If you are an avid fisherman and would like to help, please contact Rick at 813-789-0968.
2016 Oktoberfest: - Oktoberfest was a signature event for VI for many, many years. One thing that the Board hears regularly from residents of VI is “when are you going to bring back Oktoberfest?” The answer lies in “volunteers.” Julie Scanlon has agreed to lead the effort for the 2016 Oktoberfest; however, she needs upwards of 20-25 volunteers. Please volunteer your time to make this become a reality in 2016. Contact Julie at 525-0477.
2016 Annual Meeting – a summary of the materials presented follows:
SPPD Chief of Police Tony Holloway and SPPD Community Officer Brandon Bill provided an update on trends in St. Pete and in VI (see below for more info);
Election of VIHA Officers/Members – President – Rich Scanlon; Vice President – Drew Rosen; Treasurer – Lisa Schwartz; Secretary – Linda Testa; At large members – John Bodimer; Chris Ewing; Bob Johnson; Mark Brenman; Glen Gomer and Tom Testa. Subsequent to the annual meeting, Terry Hedden and Laura Simkin were elected to the Board. Brief bio’s for each of the above are on www.ourvi.org;
VIHA Committee Reports – 2016 budget overview; DR 54 final comments; VI seawalls; and 2016 Oktoberfest;
2016 Directory of Homeowners – has been printed and delivered to VIHA members. Please let me know if you did not yet receive your copy; and,
DR 54 – a Deed Restriction limiting short-term rentals in VI to that allowed under the City code will be balloted in mid-2016.
Crime and Community Security:
Vehicle Thefts - Chief Holloway and Officer Bill stressed the need to remove valuables from your car and to lock the doors. If you don’t lock your car doors you can assume that someone will be opening the door and looking through for items of value. If you leave valuables in your car you can assume that at some point those items will be taken;
Security Cameras – I had been a big advocate of security cameras throughout VI as a means of reducing crime. However, a committee studied the issue and found this concept was not feasible. If you have security cameras on your property please consider registering with the SPPD through their “Eagle Eye” program. Information can be found on www.ourvi.org under the “Community Resources” tab; and,
Crime Prevention Officer – Officer Reggie Mitchell has been named as the new Crime Prevention Officer for VI. Hopefully you will get a chance to meet him at one of our upcoming neighborhood meetings. The SPPD will provide a home security assessment upon request. Officer Mitchell can be reached at Reginald.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Seawalls - Undoubtedly, you’ve noticed the barricades and tape on some of the seawalls on Grand Canal. These have been in a state of disrepair for quite some time and some are becoming quite hazardous. On March 7, City Representatives spoke to a group of residents about a report on the state of our seawalls that had been commissioned by Reuben Clarsen, a noted expert [See the VI Newsletter from December 2013, available on the website, for an article on seawalls in VI]. All of the VI seawalls are in need of some form of repair; however, the availability of City funding is always the issue. The City receives $400,000 annually from Penny for Pinellas to repair City owned seawalls. VI will receive $200,000 from this years’ allocation, but this will be a multi-year program. Additional information will be posted to the website as it becomes known; and,
Overlook Bridge Beautification – VIHA recently received City funds in the amount of $19,500 which will be used for landscaping and the purchase of 11 Royal Palms to complete the Overlook Bridge replacement project.
VI Monuments - The next project in our Master Plan is the replacement of monuments to the entrances of VI. Funds that VIHA raised to match City dollars, when available, came from the fees paid by advertisers in the 2016 Directory of Homeowners. This project will substantially improve the “eye appeal” of VI at one of our primary access points. Needless to say, this would not have been possible without the support of our advertisers. Please support these organizations that you will find in the 2016 Directory.
Upcoming Board Meetings – The VIHA Board generally meets the first Monday of each month (other than in July and August). Meetings are scheduled for April 4, May 2 and June 6. Meetings are open to all members of VIHA. Please feel free to attend and discuss any of your neighborhood concerns in front of the Board. Check the website to make sue a meeting has not been rescheduled or postponed. Meeting start at 7:00pm at the LCC Day School.
Architectural Review Committee (“ARC”) – before you make any improvements to the exterior of your home, please check the “Architectural Review” tab on the website so you have a better understanding of what will need to be submitted for ARC approval BEFORE commencing construction. Contact information for the ARC members is listed as well should you have any questions about your project or the process for approvals.
Have a great spring and I look forward to seeing you out and about in VI!!!!!